Amy Peters

TypePad Profile

Get updates on my activity. Follow me on my Profile.
My Photo

My Other Accounts

Blog powered by Typepad
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

« quiet {farm} day | Main | always dreaming {winner} »

April 04, 2011


Hi, there! I am popping over from the blog party. I love the jewelry.

As far as looking at things differently... A big step was coming to terms with my oldest son's autism. For a while I felt sorry for us and wallowed in it all. Now I embrace how wonderfully unique he is!

As a counselor for those suffering from chronic substance abuse, I am learning to look at life from a perspective of gratitude. I try to express how thankful I am to be physically and emotionally healthy. Living in gratitude teaches me serenity and shows me a daily peace. I now try to never take anything for granted! <3

I am a teacher for children with Special Needs. It wasn't until I began work in the field that I viewed this innocent children in a whole new light. I learned to put their needs first and take a different outlook on life in general. I love the poem called "Welcome to Holland." If you haven't read it, you should, it's AMAZING!

Almost every conversation with my niece and nephews leaves me with a little different perspective. The way their minds work is completely amazing.

Hi Amy! Thanks for sharing these beautiful new rings! I love how each of them tell their own unique story in only a couple words. Here's my personal experience:
I didn't get the job. Rejection is terrible, and I took it personally- why didn't they like me? Almost everything I had every gone for wholeheartedly before had turned out the way I wanted, but this time it didn't. After a couple of weeks moping around, I got a call from my sister back home that I was going to be a new aunt! It turned out to be such a blessing that I didn't have to choose between the job of my dreams (that I didn't get) and being an awesome and attentive local aunt to my darling niece. I relocated 6 months later and have found all the happiness in the world in being 'Tia' to my niece Grace and her new little sister Carolyn. :-) It taught me that while I am walking the path, I do not know where it is best to go, and the things that happen in life guide you where you are meant to be- for me, that was back home, hundreds of miles closer to my family. <3
I'm forever grateful that I didn't get that job!

Upon hearing that I would not be able to carry a biological child to term after losing three, I knew that adoption was for us. We were extremely fortunate to become parents fairly quickly after the decision was made and we were also twice blessed with another child from the same birthparents a little over a year after our first one came to us. It does not matter one bit that these children did not come from my body. I love them both more than anything in the entire world. They are my life : )

Our church hired a man from Argentina to help us start a new Hispanic outreach church here. After tons of paperwork and following every rule, they lost his paperwork and said he could not work in this country until the paperwork went through. The man had been invited, had a job and was told he could not work. It took our church $10,000 in legal fees to get his papers through. I now look at immigration issues quite differently, and I'd like to think, with more compassion.

When I was in my early 20's I traveled to Australia to lead a tour group. I was away from family, friends, and the culture. During that time, I realized that I was made by God to be uniquely me. I did not have to try to imitate those I admired to be of value...I could just grow and develop the gifts I was was given. It opened up a wonderful part of my life and I met my husband shortly after I returned!

Your jewelry is so inspiring and is so positive and uplifting. I like seeing all the new things you put out.

Mine came when I got a divorce, it has been
ten years and life is better than ever.

I would have to say that every time we've ever moved, I've had to take on a new outlook. It's always an adventure, but the stresses of moving are many. So, I have to think of the many opportunities just waiting around the bend, waiting for me to discover them. I have a love/hate relationship with moving, but I'm super excited for my upcoming move...just as soon as the kitchen is done...

wow! What an amazing giveaway!
I have two small children (2 and 4) so I feel like each week they teach ME something. A way to look at life through their lens (look at THIS bug!!) instead of through my old tired eyes.
I so appreciate their zeal and interest in life, it inspires mine.

Hi Amy!
As a retired elementary school teacher I've had so many occasions to look at things differently - through the eyes of my 9 and 10 year olds. But, I have to say a big epiphany came for me when, very short of patience at the end of a very long day, I walked into our family room and barked "WHO left that pink purse on the floor???!!!" My then 4 year old, ran and picked it up, and with all her strength opened the sliding door to the patio and through it outside. She then said, "There, now it's gone!" I laughed and laughed as that little peanut showed me how very unimportant my complaint was...maybe a better idea would have been putting that energy into snuggling her!

When I first moved back home into a tiny apartment connected to my parents' house, I thought I'd only stay two years. It has been eleven because Mom had a stroke that first year. I've stayed to be of help to them and they have been incredibly supportive of me as I've dealt with breast cancer this last year. I no longer think about leaving. I'm here for the rest of their lives. Anne, yourmainestamper

I believe the "forever grateful" inscribed ring suits me well, and here's why:
In September of 2001 I was on my honeymoon in the beautiful and friendly country of Thailand. The first of four weeks consisted of a very sweaty and arduous jungle trek. While up in the jungle, miles from any motor vehicles, roads or villages, I was unknowingly bit by a dengue fever carrying mosquito. Luckily for me the symptoms for dengue fever don’t start to set in for about 3 weeks. For the next 2 and half weeks, my new husband and I had a fascinating time travelling through the varying country, jungles, deserts, and the gorgeous white sand beaches of the hundreds of Thai islands. But then 3 weeks later, while on the lush island of Koi Samui, I very quickly became ill while riding rented mopeds around this small lush island. At first I thought I had a severe case of food poisoning. But by 3 a.m. my fever had risen to 105 degrees and my extremities were beginning to swell up to the point of resembling sausages and salamis (no kidding). My husband hopped on the rented moped and tried to find a taxi, or any awake person, who could lead him to a hospital. An hour later he found a tuk tuk (taxi) that was willing to take us to the ‘hospital’ for an enormous sum of money (even in Thai standards). He dropped us off at the dirt road that led to the ‘hospital’. I was so delirious from the fever that I could barely walk. My husband half carried me the 150 yards to the entrance. The hospital was so dirty and ill supplied. We were actually lucky that there was even a person there to speak with. Of course speaking was an obstacle in itself as we knew no Thai and they knew no English. They wanted to take blood which, in this dirty place where you could literally see feces in the corridors, seemed like a death sentence. Eventually they told us to go b/c they didn’t know what to do. At 5:30 in the morning, just as the sun was rising, we left the hospital. While my husband carried me down the dirt road, we came face to face with the biggest bull I have ever seen. The little old Thai man, who was trying to control the bull, had a skinny rope tied around the bull’s neck. The bull easily towered above the man by 2 feet. The bull decided that it didn’t like the looks of this staggering stranger (with another stranger on his back) on it’s dirt road and started to charge us. The image of the little, bent over Thai man trying desperately to control this beast, and consequently being dragged along the dirt road, is forever burned into my memory. My husband started hobbling as fast as he could to the other side of the road. We were able to escape by hiding behind a hut. Trying to not breathe too heavily, we started thanking Buddha for his graciousness (it just so happened that the hut was a small temple for a Buddha). After waiting for what felt like several hours, we finally tiptoed out and found a tuk tuk with the driver sleeping in the back. We quickly woke him up, and fortunately (so sooo fortunate for us) the driver spoke English and also appeared to understand the severity of my illness (I was quite a sight). He took us to a private clinic on the other side of the island, where it was determined I had Dengue Fever and needed to be immediately flown to Bangkok to a very large, Western hospital. By this time I was hemorrhaging and my entire body was swollen and covered in a lumpy rash. I had no idea what Dengue Fever was, nor what it could do to a person. All I knew is that I felt like I was dying. And as it turned out I was coming very close to that. My fever had risen and the internal bleeding was getting heavier. The hospital had several specialists come treat me for each different symptom, all the while being given fluids intravenously. I was in so much pain and delirious from the high fever. All I wanted to do was to go home. OUr return trip home was scheduled to leave in 3 more days and the specialists all agreed that I should be able to be discharged in time for our flight home. This gave me a little hope. This was September 11, 2001. But that hope was very quickly squelched as I lay watching television in my hospital bed and watched the first of two towers crumble to the ground in my beloved country, my home, my safe place. I laid there watching as airplanes flew into those buildings. At first I thought it was a dream, or a movie as I was very disoriented. But I looked over at my husband, and upon seeing the pure horror on his face, I knew all too well that this was not a dream...this was happening. All I could think about was how somebody, an evil entity was hurting my home. Wanting so badly to be back in my country, I was at first feeling sorry for myself and for my horrible plight in this beautiful land so far away from where this tragedy was happening. But as I started to gain perspective it dawned on me that I was going to be okay. Thanks to a tuk tuk driver who spoke very good English, I made it to Bangkok in time to recover. But what about all those thousands of people who were caught in the middle of this terror? I realized then and there, that no matter what plight or difficulty I am going through, there is so much worse happening to others. Whether it be innocent people caught in the middle of a murderous unnecessary war or a baby who can’t even cry anymore b/c the hunger is too unbearable, there is nothing in my life that even compares to what most humans have to endure. I realized that day, while lying there on a hospital bed in Bangkok, that not only was I a very fortunate person, I was also a very rich person. No, we don’t have much money but we have so much in our lives to be thankful for, to bless us. We are rich in love and rich in freedom. We are lucky to live in the most amazing and gorgeous town in the WORLD! We have choices and freedoms that most human beings can only dream about. It was that fateful day that I realized my home, my country, was precious to me. I had really taken it for granted until I saw it being attacked. So, in conclusion the two major things that I came away with: the love of my country, a place I want to treasure and protect, and the realization that my life is pretty damn awesome, and whatever seems to be ailing me is nothing compared to what many people must endure. I keep this thought with me constantly. I often have to remind myself that it could be a lot worse. And then I find myself not sad, rather happy and thankful. I am forever grateful!
Oh, and by the way, we ended up being the very FIRST flight allowed back into LAX in the good ole sweet U.S of A on September 16, 2001. Talk about luck. Of course once we got to LAX it was a nightmare. Add that to the fact that I was emaciated and still extremely weak. But we were home and that is all that mattered! Glad I could share my story with you!
Natalia Wellman

sorry for how long mine is, but the background story is so important in how I felt that particular day (and actually quite funny in retrospect). Natalia

Several years ago the business where I was working burned down to the ground so I was suddenly out of a job. It taught me a lot of quick lessons...
1.always save for a rainy (or fiery) day
2.ramen noodles aren't so bad
3.bookstores are nice but libraries are true treasures
and it taught me some life lessons too. I learned that it's great to be independent, but everyone needs to ask for help once in awhile and that's ok. And I looked at myself in a new light, explored latent talents and discovered new interests. I spent a lot of time wandering museums and art galleries and talking to artists, and finally bit the bullet and started producing my own art. It didn't sell at the time, but it gave me a new perspective and taught me to trust my own instincts, follow my own path. After six months I found a fantastic new job in the arts, and through contacts there, I was eventually able to sell all that art that I had been producing.
Most important long term lessons...
1.Walk the path, one step at a don't need to know where it goes right now
2.Making mistakes = learning, not failing
3.Make time for friends, family and laughter
4.Believe in love
5.Be true to yourself
6.Find the good in every day

Today is National Autism Awareness Day. April is Autism Awareness month. I am the mother of a 12 year old autistic daughter. Since she was 6 months old we knew "something" wasn't right as she was missing her milestones. At age 6 she was finally diagnosed on the autism spectrum along with an undiagnosed genetic disorder. In our 11 years with her my husband and I have learned a lot yet not much at all. We have gone on this journey leading us to another "world." Many times during the day I try to look at the world from her perspective, wondering what she is thinking, what she'd like to say to me, or what she is feeling. Yesterday we went to church then she decided she wanted me to go with her and ask neighbors if they were willing to donate food to the local food shelf. She and I had a good hour walking door to door collecting canned goods. We arrived home and she asked if she could have a friend over. I had responded with "no" since it was Sunday afternoon. I explained that Sundays are family days. Immediately something "clicked"' in her mind and she became agitated, stressed, aggressive, and physical with me. I found myself running around the house trying to get away from her. Eventually I locked myself in my son's room and listened to her pound on the door screaming at me. Later, when I thought she had settled down, I opened the door only to find her lunging at me with her fists. She attempted many times to scratch, kick, and hit me. I grabbed her and hugged her as tight as I could telling her it was ok and mom was here with her. We soon fell asleep as a result of sheer exhaustion. When I woke up I saw that I was bleeding from a cut on my forehead and I had scratches down my back from her little fingers. When she awoke I looked into her eyes and saw my little girl again. Every day I try to see the world from her perspective. Every day I wish I knew exactly what she was thinking and what she wished she could say. And every day she asks me to tuck her in. And every day I tell her over and over again how much I love her. And every day she teaches me something new, looking at life from a totally different perspective. And every day I am reminded how grateful I am for my daughter because I know I have the best life ever. There are many others that are less fortunate than I so my ring would say "lucky mom."

Mine was when I was fired from my job last year. At first I was devastated and I felt like a huge failure. I felt like I had let myself and my husband down and we were never going to get out of where I'd put us.

However, I've come to realize that being fired was a gift. I was stuck in that job. I never would have left. It was holding me back. I'm now working a job that stresses me out less, I make more money and I'm back in school.

It was really hard at first but once I changed my perspective things became easier and clearer.

I have had vitiligo since childhood. I spent the majority of my childhood, covering it up with pants and long sleeve shirts. As a freshman in college, it spread to my face. I then covered it up with makeup for two years until it spread so extensively I could no longer hide it.

As a spotted person, people can be very cruel. I endured a lot of rejection, people afraid to touch items I touched, afraid that they'd catch what I had. People were disgusted by the way that I looked. It was a very painful time in my life.

I've never sought out any treatment for my vitiligo and have now lost almost all my natural pigment.

No longer spotted, I look like a very pale person now. People now tell me that I should get a tan (impossible without pigment!). I share my journey with others and encourage them to look beyond the cover. You have no idea the journey one has taken in life until you get to know that person!

The comments to this entry are closed.